Thursday, January 28, 2010

10 most significant.

I am taking this moment to blog because I am done with my homework by 11:00.

It is a moment to celebrate, as this has not happened once since the first day of school. I of course still have 3 hours of reading and studying to do, but those are much easier to procrastinate.

ON that note of procrastinating, I have been needing to do some work on my applicattion to the Media Arts program.
I am nervous to inform the world that I am applying because that just means if I don't make it there is that awkward moment where I have to tell you... So, for the sake of a less awkward moment, let's never mention this application process, unless of course you see a new post called I am going to be famous... then you can congratulate me.

Part of this assignment is to make a list of the 10 most significant things to you... which basically is the most terrifying idea to me because I am going to be judged on the media that makes me who I am, but here is my list.

10 Most Significant
1. On your porch - The Format
  • Whenever life is too hard and I just need to cry I get in my car, drive up the canyon, play this song and cry. Something about it is so beautiful and sad, and encouraging.
2. Freeteris.org
  • I’m reluctant to list this as significant, but it formed the nerdiest parts of me. I spent more hours playing on this website in high school than I should have. Now I fall asleep to falling blocks.
3. Beauty and the Beast
  • The first movie I remember seeing in theaters. My little heart had never hurt as much as when I thought the beast had died.
4. It's all coming back - Celine Dion
  • It’s the only song I’ve sung with my mom. No matter how different our tastes in music are now, I can always rely on Celine to bring me and my mom closer.
5. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
  • My spirit of adventure began by reading this book. I still fantasize about finding a treasure map and saving my ship from a crew full of pirates.
6. Norte-Dame de Paris - Victor Hugo
  • Hugo knows how to write a great tragedy. This book made me miserable for days after I had finished. I’m still waiting for a film to properly display Phoebus as the horrible hypocrite he is.
7. Orbitz.com
  • I long to see the world. I spend a lot of time on orbitz.com figuring out how much it would cost to buy a ticket to Haiti to help out, or to fly to Paris for New Years Eve. Of course, I never buy anything, but I can imagine
8. Pans Labrynth
  • What a beautifully tragic glimpse into the pains of civil war, and the ways children create to escape it. This film has my very favorite score of all time. It probably gave me the first anti-war feelings I had ever had, and a at the same time a strong sense of patriotism.
9. Musicals
  • The musical created me. The stage of life that I still consider myself in, the one after recovering from awful awkward years, started when I was in Annie Get Your Gun in 9th grade. I love the sincerity and openess of a musical.
10. A long way gone - Ishmael Beah
  • What a beautiful glimpse into the life a young boy caught in civil war that is still raging in Africa. This is what I want my movies to do, give people the chance to understand a life different than their own. I want to change the headlines into stories about individuals who don't have life as easy as we do.
11. A Thousand Splendid Suns -  Khaled Hosseini
  • My first glimpse into the repression Afghan women suffer under the Taliban. I consider myself a mild feminist, and the treatment of the women in this story horrified me.  It is also heartbreaking to learn about the constant state of fear some people are under.
okay, I realize there are 11. So that is where YOU come in. Choose the one you think is the lest relevant... but really, they are all sooo important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment