Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

This film has been in my instant queue on Netflix for months, but I didn't get a chance to watch it until tonight. Best decision ever.

It was my first experience with Marilyn Monroe. I don't know how I felt about her before, but let me tell you that I now love this woman.
Who else could look so adorable singing about gold digging?
If you don't think you like older musicals, you will like this one. Let me give you the reasons why:

1. The musical number "Ain't Anyone Here for Love?" - This involves a large group of scantily clad men in flesh colored bathing suits performing stunts while Jane Russell walks around adoring their muscles. It may be the most unintentionally awkward, gay scene ever.
This is one of the less strange screen grabs I could find
2. The moral of the story is that you really should marry for money. I was ready for her to change her ways in the end, and fall in love with some penniless guy. Nope. She marries the rich guy for his money, and you feel really good about it.

3. There's a double wedding. They wear matching dresses. It's my new dream. Too bad Jo was married over a year ago...
Twinnerz
4. It's only an hour and a half

5. This is the movie that originated the song "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend"

6. Marilyn Monroe gets stuck in a window, and a 10 year old millionaire helps her... hilarity ensues

Lame blog post? Maybe. But, as people who love blog stalking always say "It is better to have blogged and it be lame, than to never have blogged at all."

3 comments:

  1. I netflixed this a couple weeks ago! now you need to watch "how to marry a millionaire"
    I've been going through a marilyn phase myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you guys been watching SMASH?? It's on Monday nights and is aammmaazzing! It's about Marilyn which is why I bring it up.

    I am so happy my very own Marilyn picture did not make it to this blot post...but a little sad that our double wedding ship has sailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie and it's ridiculousness. I am a musical fan though. Guilty pleasure I suppose. You'll see, the musicals will get to you too.
    -LIzi

    ReplyDelete