Friday, April 27, 2012

First Week with Conan O'Brien: All the Questions you Didn't Ask

I have officially moved to LA, and I haven't had internet since I got here, which means that blogging has suffered.

Do you like being an intern for Conan O'brien?
It's amazing. Seriously. Yes it's unpaid, and yes there are a lot of coffee runs, but there are a lot of really amazing things, too. Last night we had Jack Black and Ingrid Michaelson on the show. I sat there watching and thought "I am so stinking lucky to be here."
Everyone is nice. All the staff members try to remember my name, and they all talk to me. Everyone smiles, and they are always up to have a conversation. I have so much to learn from all the other employees.
The hours are great. Unlike some productions that have 14 hour days, I'm only here from 9 am to 6 pm. 
On top of all that, we film in Warner Brothers Studios. This is a historic place. I'm in the same studio that Gold Diggers of 1933, Calamity Jane, A Star is Born, Oceans 11, Goonies, and Ghostbusters were filmed. Friends was taped a few buildings down. The courthouse from Batman is nearby. Currently we're surrounded by The Mentalist, Big Bang Theory, Ellen, Pretty Little Liars, and The Voice.

What do you do?
Anything and everything. I mentioned coffee runs earlier. I also set up the green room, stand in for actors during rehearsals, research future guests, work with the audience, welcome guests, help the band before the show, and I'm sure they'll be a lot more

Do you like LA?
Technically I don't live in LA, I live in Burbank, and I'm obsessed. It's humid, but it doesn't get nearly as hot as Florida, so it's glorious. The people here are incredibly kind and always ready to give a compliment. When you're here there's no point in eating at a chain restaurant because you can find great privately owned little places (My personal favorite may be Grilled Cheese and Cupcakes. It's exactly what the name says: a restaurant for adults whose tastebuds didn't mature past a 10 year-old's). Everyone has dogs, but they're more like fashion statements than pets.

Have you met a lot of famous people?
I don't know if I'd say "met," but I have said hi to some. . I've met/seen Jack Black, Ingrid Michaelson, Andy Richter, Conan O'Brien, the lady who played Elaine on Seinfield, and Morgan Spurlock.

Where are you living?
I live about a mile away from the studios in a great apartment. There are a few downsides. I don't have any furniture, so I'll be sleeping on an air mattress while I'm here. My bedroom doesn't have a light. There is a light switch, which probably connects to one of the outlets... but I can't figure out which one. It smells weird... like a cat. I think the last tenants must have owned a kitty, but its smell did not leave with them. And finally, I don't have internet. Other than that, it's quite fabulous.

If you actually have any questions let me know! 


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! BTW, Elaine from Seinfeld is Julia Louis Dreyfus. Love her!

    Loved your apartment description too! You're going to have an amazing summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession: I watched Conan for the first time in my life because I secretly wanted him to mention you. Ingrid is crazy enough but Clamity Jane as well as OCEANS 11?! Man, that's surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did get the coveted internship with Conan, but remember who helped you get your sweet apartment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. buy somethings for that apartment - first stop Bath and Body Works for wallflowers
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are in a great place. Rooms that smell like cats are cool/weird. Glad you got one. Hope you don't need to impress anyone with smells or a light.

    ReplyDelete