Thursday, April 12, 2012

Omelette Nazi

It was 6:00 am. I had stayed up the night before until 2:30 am, yet I was excited to be up. 
Why? Two words.
Omelette Day

These are no ordinary omelettes, they are the omelettes at the Utah Valley Regional Hospital aka Manna from heaven. My fabulous roommate Annie introduced me to this rare celebration.

Let me paint you a picture.

You can get on an email list to be notified when there will be omelettes. The list has tons of subscribers. Every couple weeks, omelette fans will get an email from the hospital cafeteria "Omelette's will be served on Thursday." And so it begins.

We prepare the night before. Don't eat a big dinner, make sure you don't have any studying or class before 8:00 am, set your alarm, dress in the pajamas you will wear to the hospital the next morning, prepare purse and money.

They start serving omelette's at 7:00 am and they go until about 11:00, but you've got to be parked by 6:50 if you want to beat the crowd. 

After going through the maze of the hospital corridors, you finally arrive at the Red Rock Cafe on the third floor. It is time.

The line is run by Provo's very own omelette nazi. You've got to be prepared to order.
"Half omelette. Chicken, olives, tomatoes, spinach, lots of green peppers. Thank you." Then step aside. If you pause you may be skipped, or insulted at the least. 
Even if you are prepared, you are certain to get some sort of sassy quip from him. This morning I got two. The first came because I took this picture
look at all the condiments!!!
"'Scuse me, did you just take a picture?"
"Yes. Sorry. I swear you weren't in it"
"You better watch yourself, or I am going to take that camera."
"Oh no, not my baby!"
"You better believe it's your baby, because you are going to be nursing it back to health in the corner if you keep that up."

The second came when I placed my order
"Full omelette."
"Full omelette? No. You can't handle a full omelette."

But Annie and I escaped, omelette's in hand. We paid our $3.50 to the perk cashier and sat down to enjoy the taste of sweet victory. By then, it was about 7:15 and the line was already out the door.

Did I mention unlimited guacamole?

Annie doesn't always do thumbs up, but when she does it's because she has an omelette.
It's a great day.

3 comments:

  1. Why is your blog lookin so crazy?! crazy cool, obviously!
    Thats a fun date. youre cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you are just going to have a lot more competition there now, right?

    Oh and you are too old to be wearing pajamas out in public. Actually unless you're a toddler, you are too old!

    ReplyDelete