Thursday, May 3, 2012

People in LA are the Nicest

I always heard that Mormons were often the nicest people around. That is wrong. Burbank-ians are the kindest.

My landlord worked way above and beyond to get me into my apartment.

Everyone at Conan is willing and eager to teach me all sorts of new things about the industry.

Every store owner welcomes each customer as they enter.

Everyone seems to know everyone... the way I imagined only happened in small towns

Waiters/waitresses are perky and my water never empties.

And then there's my internet guys.
I got the information for the company's representative, Andrei, a day after I moved in. I left him a message and he never called back. So, I was already a little frustrated when gave him another call. Then I had a difficult time understanding him because of his heavy accent. More frustration. We scheduled a time for him to come by, and it was a longer wait than I wanted. I threw a mini tantrum in my head.
When the appointment time came, he knocked at my door right on time. I was feeling grumpy, and ready to be perturbed, but I could not stay upset at this adorable guy. He was an armenian man in his late forties just short of 6 feet, with a giant smile from ear to ear plastered on his face. With him was another man in his thirties who was just as jolly.
They came in and went right to work. The younger man noticed my ukelele sitting on the couch.
"You play?" He said
"No. I really don't"
"Do you like hawaiian music"
"Well... no"
I know, it's amazing how charming I can be when I completely shut a conversation down. I wanted to just read in silence, but Andrei would have none of it.
"Sing us a song!"
"Oh really, I can't"
"Oh please, play Somewhere Over the Rainbow" And somehow his smile got bigger.
I conceded. I haven't figured out how to strum and sing at the same time yet... but I gave it my best shot. They were both so pleased. They clapped and cheered. Then Andrei crossed off the little section of paper that said "installation fee." Yup. My terrible ukelele skills saved me $25, and my internet guys are either the nicest guys in the world, or two tone-deaf men who live in a cave and have never heard Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
Praise to the uke that got me free internet installation.
The magic powers of the uke shall someday be used to make Jake Gyllenhaal fall in love with me.

Somehow our conversation continued, and turned to more serious subjects. I learned that Andrei was from Iran, and that he had fought in the army because it was a requirement. He was seriously injured by a bomb and nearly died. His story was incredible, and I suddenly felt very guilty for being bothered by his accent.
20 minutes after their arrival, my internet was set up, and they were on their way. I can honestly say that I was sad that they were leaving, partially because I realized that after they left I would be spending 2 weeks totally alone in my apartment, but mostly because they were amazing people.

Please don't ever make me leave this place.

2 comments:

  1. hey, thats a cool story.
    Im glad you made some friends :) you should of snapped a picture with them.
    I love you! Keep up the bloggin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! It sounds like a wonderful place. When will you blog about a baseball game?

    ReplyDelete