Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Running... er... speedwalking

I was trying to convince my sister to do a 5k with me. She obviously misses me a lot, because she was so elated about the thought of seeing me again that she agreed to sign up, completely forgetting that both of us are incapable of running.

3 miles didn't really seem that long until I learned that I could only run for about 10 minutes at a time before I wanted to walk again. I knew I had a lot of working out to do before running the whole 5k was a reality for me. 

I downloaded a couch to 5k podcast (5k101.com was my personal choice) and I got my butt out of bed every morning to get my workout done for the day. 

Finally, after a month of working at it, I started running for 30 minutes straight. I was a stinking runner! YEAH! I knew I had my olympic-track-coach-grandpa's genes in me somewhere! I was feeling pretty great about this until a comment I got a week or so ago...

I was walking around the WB lot when I was stopped by a guy about my age.  I had seen him around, and we always said hi to each other, but we'd never really spoken. He was cute, and I was actually a little excited that he was talking to me.

"Hey! I think I saw you on Chandler this morning!" - Him
"Probably, I live around there" - Me
"I think I saw you speedwalking or something."
"Ha, if you saw me walking, I was probably normal walking...." Nervous giggle. Walk away.
Awkward end to the conversation, but I was hopeful that this guy was very confused on what a jog is. Just to test my speed, I decided to head over to the gym and run on the treadmill to see how fast I was actually going.

It was slow... very slow.


So, while I thought I looked like Jennifer Garner on Alias (I just barely discovered this show and I'm obsessed with it, but I now realize after 20 minutes searching on youtube for ONE video of Jennifer Garner running on the show that this reference is completely irrelevant. If it ain't on youtube, it don't matter ) I look more like... 


Hopefully my sister is doing better...

4 comments:

  1. hahaha that video is hilarious.
    And Im depressed to know you are definitely in better shape than I am for this 5k.
    wah wah waaaaaah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me! I have witnessed your speed walking. It is definitely impressive. So I imagine your jogging is going just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i peed my pants a little bit watching that....if you DO run like that can i PLEASE com ewatch this 5k? haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've discovered Alias!?! I LOVE that show! I have watched all five seasons 2 1/2 times! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete