Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Spontaneous Road Trip by Myself

This is kind of a personal post. Before you read any farther, I want to promise you that I am not complaining about my life. I am so blessed, and I recognize it.

Recently, I have had a lot of time to think about who I am. About how I am so passionate about traveling, exploring, and adventuring. About how I love the outdoors. About how I love to do things spontaneously. About how I get really excited about crazy things that seem scary, expensive, or a lot of work. I wasn't doing any of these things that made me happy because I usually didn't have someone to do them with. It felt like I was always waiting for someone to join me, like I was going through all of this alone. My friends out here have different interests, passions, and priorities, and that's totally fair, but I began to ask myself, "How can I truly be happy if I have to wait around for someone to join me?"

I realized, I can't. I can't be happy if I am sitting here letting those experiences pass me by because I don't have anyone to do them with.

These thoughts stirred around for a few months. Last Friday morning, I woke up and decided I wanted to go to San Francisco on a whim  I asked a couple friends if they wanted to come, but they couldn't make it. I was bummed for about two seconds, then I thought, "This is it! I want to go on a road trip. I love driving. I have my heart set on going. I am not putting my passions on hold because I'm waiting for someone else!"

So, I booked a cheap hotel room during my lunch, and the second I finished my work, I ran home, threw a few things in a suitcase, and was on the *road.

The whole thing was so liberating!

Look at this awful video I made of a couple of thing I saw. You are just going to love the royalty-free guitar music I found and my awkward cameos. Or that fact that my camera died as soon as I was actually in San Francisco, so there is no footage of that. oops.



Society tells us that we need to do things with other people. We can't go out to dinner alone, we can't go to a movie on a Friday night alone, and we certainly can't vacation alone. But guess what? That just holds us back. I had a blast! The coast was beautiful, the people were fascinating, the cities were exciting, the animals were incredible, my music was lovely, the street performers and entertainment were funny, and none of that would have changed if someone else had joined me. I'd probably have gotten annoyed by most people by the end of the first night, and they would have begged me to stop singing in the car all the time (and I, of course, would not have obliged).

This weekend helped me realize that I can really enjoy life without the help of anybody else.

*I called my dad and told him my plan. I told him I would check in every couple hours. I also took my car to Jiffy Lube to make sure it was in good shape. Safety first, ya'll!

7 comments:

  1. hahahaha all your cameos were hilarious/adorable.
    I am jealous.
    I think you are seriously the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safety first! :) Love it!
    I'm soooo glad you made a video to share. I LOVE you running through the fields.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so in love with who you are! Truly... some of my best trips have been alone. However...I want to be on another trip with YOU! And I thought it was supposed to be fun, food, and then safety - so I have learned something very important today. Keep it up. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet you didn't know I stalked your blog! I loved your video. My favorite moment was the dancing/hula. Nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I came across your video. You've inspired me to do the same thing. Somehow, along the way, I allowed the disappointment I've felt having my suggestions for spontaneous adventures turned down to turn into a growing weight of sadness. If solo we must ride, then so be it. Off to recharge batteries with the energy of adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Googled "spontaneous solo road trip" first thing that popped up!! I just got the great idea for my birthday next week to drive from Seattle to the Redwood Forest, so your video was very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete