Friday, January 24, 2014

Never Thought I Could Run

If you've known me a long time, then you know that I was not active when I was little. I had some serious asthma, and I was very overweight. I remember in elementary school, we had to run a mile. I was the last one to finish at over 16 minutes. In Junior high, I could not run for more than a minute or two without stopping to gasp for air. After Italy, things kind of started to change. I lived with a girl who had lost a lot of weight by running, and we started running together. Then my uncle started running and lost a lot of weight, and met some really cool friends.

Then my grandpa, an olympic track coach, started to get sick. It really shook everyone. His illness made me want to prove to myself, to him, and to my family that I had that same athletic blood in my body. Prove to myself that I wasn't that chubby little girl with asthma anymore.

In July, my best friend Jo agreed to sign up for the Disneyland Tinkerbell Half Marathon with me. I deactivated Facebook, so I could use these months to really focus on improving, and not compare myself to everyone else. I didn't miss a single training run until I got sick over Christmas Break. I lifted weights, I ate healthier, and I ran at least 3 days a week.
Finally, last weekend, the day came.
Bright and early! We were up at 4:00 am. Then we missed the bus, and had to wake my dad up so he would drive us. Oops! But there were fireworks, and THOUSANDS of people there (just to give you an idea, our bibs were in the 12,000s, and we were NOT the last people.
We ran through California and then Disneyland. It was AMAZING! We stopped to take a lot of pictures 







apparently, that's my go to pose...

Trying to switch up our poses...

After mile 6, you leave the parks, and things get rough (no, it didn't take use 2 hours to get to mile 6, we were in the last corral, so we didn't get to start until almost an hour after the race had officially started)


This is the moment I saw my parents and Ryan standing near the finish line. I LOVED HAVING THEM THERE SO MUCH! Seriously, it meant the world to see them there. I was exhausted, but so proud, and it was so great to share that moment with them






I DID IT! My goals were to run fast enough that I still had time to take as many pictures as I wanted, never take an unscheduled walking break, and finish in under three hours. Guess what my time was? 2:59:10 hahaha! Made the last goal by 50 seconds. I finished in about the average time it took someone to finish the race, so I was in like 7,000 place. I don't even care. I loved (nearly) every second of this, even the parts that were hard and maybe a little boring. I had worked so hard, and I felt great. I'm ready to sign up for my full marathon (ok, maybe I need to get a few more half marathons under my belt first).

PS - Remember how I said I wanted to prove to myself that I wasn't that chubby little girl with asthma anymore? I should mention that as soon as I got my medal, I couldn't breath, and had to go to the medical tent to get an inhaler... Oops! We bonded with the medical staff though. After I got a lecture about how I should always have an inhaler on me, they were so nice.


So maybe I am still that chubby little girl with asthma, but that doesn't mean that I'm can't do whatever I want to do.

Too cheesy? I don't even care.

3 comments:

  1. Who would have thought we would have someone in my family running a half marathon? Once you get it in your mind that you are going to doing something... you always find a way to make it happen. I am proud of you and what you have accomplished here! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah love that picture of us in the medical tent!! Is that on your phone? Will you send it to me? I love it. And you. Couldn't/wouldn't have done it with anyone else!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri!!!! You are awesome! I'm so proud of you. You did great! Now I'm inspired to get my running shoes back on. :)

    ReplyDelete